Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Tips: Be Adventurous

More often than not, a great shot can be right in front of you: the flowers in your garden,  the cardinal at your feeder, the sun setting over your backyard.  There's something to be said for taking the time to see the simplicity of the every day through the lens of your camera - take a moment to step back and look at things with a fresh set of eyes.

Sometimes, though, letting your curiosity guide you pays off even more.

The Eno River flows north of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area, eventually feeding into Falls Lake.  It is completely different in character from the Mississippi: its channel is smaller making its depth much more variable with the rain, while its banks are mostly preserved as part of a state park filled with trails, picnic areas, and the occasional campground.  


Several years ago, North Carolina was one of many southern states caught in the grip of a severe drought.  Local lakes were well below normal levels and area municipalities were implementing various restrictions and regulations to conserve what water was left.  I spent an afternoon exploring the Pleasant Green section of the Eno River State Park, where the river was really more of a creek due to the lack of volume in its flow.  Susceptible to flash flooding, the banks were carved by erosion, leaving tree roots perched precariously in midair.  I scurried my way upstream, following the water's edge, pausing to capture the miniature rapids that formed over the branches and rocks that littered the bottom of the now exposed channel.


Some way up the channel, I came across the outflow from a tributary creek.  I pondered whether to continue up the main path or to veer off towards this new discovery.  With apologies to Robert Frost, I took the path less traveled.  I scrambled over the rocks and picked my way around the tree branches, determined to see how far the stream receding into the woods.  My curiosity was soon rewarded:

Waterfall, Eno River at Pleasant Green


My last trip out to Kitty Hawk coincided with an October coastal storm.  The weather was far from ideal for swimming and sunbathing, with waves crashing upon the storm and a 40mph gale making the 55 degree weather feel even colder.  Even in these conditions, I was still more inclined to be outside than in my hotel room.  Since the pier in Kitty Hawk was reserved for a private party, I headed down NC12 towards Avalon Pier.  It was all but deserted, save for the woman minding the pier shop and her daughter's family that had come to visit before her shift was over.  I paid my $1 for access to the pier and walked out into the weather.


Kitty Hawk from Avalon Pier

Normally elbow-to-elbow with fishermen and pelicans, the eerily empty pier stretched out into the ocean, at the same time both beckoning me to go further out and warning me to stay closer to shore. I ventured out to the end of the pier, exposed to the wind, putting my faith in the fact that these piers are built to withstand most of what Mother Nature can throw at them.  


It's an eerie thing, being alone on a pier, over a hundred yards out over a churning ocean.  The sky hung heavy, like gray velvet, draping itself over the coastline with a damp chill.  


Whether it's clamoring up a river tributary or hanging onto the railing of a pier swaying in the wind, allow yourself to follow your curiosity.  More often than not, you'll be surprised by what you find.

[Disclaimer: Always be aware of your own safety when shooting, particularly in potentially severe weather.  No shot is worth life and/or limb.]

1 comment: