Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Sites: Iowa City

Last summer, I returned to Iowa City for the first time since completing my undergraduate studies at the University of Iowa.  So much was still the same, but so much else had changed in that time.  The golden dome of the Old Capitol shone across the Pentacrest, finally free of the scaffolding that had hidden it during my final years on campus.  New wings and new buildings had sprung up, causing me to pause as I looked across the landscape at those new features that I didn't remember.
 
View of Iowa River, south from Hancher footbridge
In 2008, the Iowa River raged beyond 500 year flood levels, drowning much of the University's property, along with large swaths of Iowa City and Coralville.  While I was there, the river was back in its banks where I remembered it, but the ghosts of its destruction were all too present on the arts campus where I'd spent so much of my time.  It had been heartbreaking to watch the flood from afar; it was even more heartbreaking to see how much work was left to be done.  Even now, the city, the University, and the federal government continue to wrestle with questions of liability and relocation of facilities.  
Dehumidifiers, Voxman School of Music, 2009
The bulk of the collection of the Museum of Art is being housed in Davenport's Figge Art Museum, nearly an hour away; the School of Music has been holding classes wherever space is available, extending to local community centers, schools, and churches large enough to accommodate rehearsal and performance space.  Along with these pressing issues, the students, faculty, and staff are turning their eyes to the future.  New walkways are being built along the river that will serve as earthen levees above 100 year flood levels.  The College of Engineering's Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research is applying its energies towards mitigating future disasters through understanding past floods.  

Nile Kinnick; Kinnick Stadium
Kinnick Stadium - hallowed ground for the Hawkeye Nation - had been renovated, with refurbished end zones, an artificial field, and a new pressbox.   It stands silently next to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, the energy of decades of fans still emanating from its empty bleachers.  Through the gates, I could catch only a few glimpses of the field where I had once marched, back when it was still real grass.  I paid my respects to Nile Kinnick, promising to return soon.



View west from Old Capitol steps
I ended my day by sitting on the portico of the Old Capitol looking out over the west side of campus, watching the sunset.  
Old Capitol at sunset
I tucked myself against the columns of the building, where I used to read and study. 


The swiftly changing light cast a glow over the limestone buildings of the Pentacrest.  As the sun finally faded over the horizon, I went in search of the Adler Building, the new home to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  
courtyard of Philip D. Adler Building


Recent alumni publications had featured the facility, namely the sculpture in its courtyard, and I wanted to see it for myself.  The courtyard glowed with the languages carved from the sculpture.


There isn't much I wouldn't do to be in Iowa City this weekend as my Hawkeyes take on Penn State for Homecoming.  Instead, I will be a part of that Hawkeye disapora, though my heart will be there, ready for the boom and praying for a chance to sing our victory polka.

Pentacrest at twilight


To assist with flood recovery efforts for the University of Iowa, please donate to the UI Flood Relief Fund.

3 comments:

  1. In any case, in spite of the way that these redirections are magnificent fun, they don't by and large give that persisting foundation.3D photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more the photographer is meticulous with each pose the more his endeavor will prove fruitful. Sincere, touching shots are also considered a blessing at weddings. beirut wedding photography tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the cause of grievance is the lost of someone special. Your father had given up his last breath and your mother didn't able to move on to a new life without him. readmore

    ReplyDelete