Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Shot: Morning Fog One and Two

Like many things, a crucial element to photography is sheer luck.


For all the studios and editing software, some of your best shots will be those you weren't even looking for, but rather just present themselves for you to take.  


Several years ago, I was visiting my brother in the Atlanta area.  It was that transitional time of year where the humidity of summer was still clinging to the air, but the chill of fall (as chilly as it gets in Atlanta, anyway) was just starting to creep in.  I was up early, sitting out on the patio.  The neighborhood was all but completely cloaked in fog.


At the time, I was still using film, so I framed, snapped, and hoped for the best:
Dallas, GA (film)


A year later, I was in Orlando, visiting the same brother, once again in the fall.  It was a particularly soupy morning.  The window looked out over a golf course, but that morning, it might as well have looked out over an empty field, as it was impossible to see anything beyond the shadowy outlines of the trees nearby:
Orlando, FL (digital)

 In both cases, the fog burned off rather quickly.  It's one of those natural forces that casts a new glow over familiar things, but requires that element of luck to catch just the right day when you happen to have not only your camera, but also the time to wander about to catch a few shots (for example, I've always wanted to capture the UNC campus in the fog, but the timing just hasn't worked out quite yet).  

These two shots also recall the digital vs. film discussion - but as I've said earlier, I think there's room for both.  

No comments:

Post a Comment