Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Shot: Heron on the Roof

Sometimes you'll find shots in the most unexpected places.

While the deck of my previous residence was a frequent stop for local songbirds, most of the residents of my new neighborhood prefer the pine trees that line the creek behind my home.

I've suspected the creek was home to a Great Blue Heron for some time - I see it flying overhead every few weeks.  But this past weekend, I became substantially more sure that it's a resident rather than merely a frequent visitor.

My cat was out on the deck, as she often is on nice days, but instead of quietly observing her domain, she made quite a commotion.  I stepped outside, looked down along the levee, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.  It was only when I turned to go back indoors that I saw what caught her attention:


Great Blue Heron.  On my roof.  You just don't see that every day.

I stopped and stared for several moments.  This wasn't exactly an everyday occurrence.   

Be ready to be caught off guard.

Advances in cell phone cameras have provided many of us with a quick, at-the-ready way to capture those moments that crop up.  With the increase in mega-pixels, HDR options, and editing software, some of our mobile photos can hold their own with those of point-and-shoot digitals.  Of course, they have their limitations in zoom, filters, and aperture settings, but sometimes you have to make peace with the shot you can get, as waiting for the shot you want may cause you to lose the scene altogether.  I snapped a quick shot on my iPhone, whose zoom wasn't strong enough for the detail those feathers deserved.  The heron seemed comfortable on its perch, so I ventured back inside for my camera.

Get to know your equipment.

Keep your camera in a designated place.  Store it in a carrying case that is both protective and easily emptied.  Have your battery in a designated pouch.  Know the layout of your camera's hardware to install your battery quickly.

I came back outside to find the heron still atop the building, where it stood long enough to capture a few more shots before it took off on its next adventure:




No comments:

Post a Comment