Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Shot: Sky on Fire


A couple of weeks ago, a cold front moved through, bringing with it much needed rain.  My commute home coincided with the final leading edge of cloud bands marching overhead.  As I sat at the top of the exit ramp, waiting for the light to turn, I looked west.

Years of living in the Midwest still make me wary when I see such a stark line of such dark clouds topped with such a contrasting white pile of cumulus.  I searched for curtains of rain underneath; not seeing any, I continued home.

Frontal boundary marching east
I grabbed my camera to snap the front moving through.  So often, these things are simply those blue triangles and red half-circles on the television screen, but here one was, marching directly over my neighborhood.


I came for the frontal boundary.  I stayed for the sunset.

As the sun started to peek out from behind the veil of clouds that had encased it for the past three days, it reasserted its position of dominance in the sky with gusto.  Over the next hour, the sky progressed from flashes of orange to a sky on fire:

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD. i am insanely jealous of this. living by lake, i miss all the awesome sunset action on the west side.

    ReplyDelete