Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Shot: Spring Blooms at Sunset

While spending time in Asheville a few weeks ago, I took advantage of a free evening to go explore the Grove Park Inn (lover of F. Scott Fitzgerald that I am, the pilgrimage seemed necessary).  Visitors and guests of the resort mingle throughout its historic grounds, which look out over Sunset Mountain and the Blue Ridge of the Appalachians.  I had plenty of time to linger, wander, roam, and wait for the sunset.

As I meandered down towards the golf course from the inn, I came upon a tree just beginning to bloom.  The sun was starting its descent and shone through the still-visible branches towards me.

Most people will avoid looking directly into the sun -- and that's good advice for the most part (shadows, solar eclipses, glare) -- but you have to know when to buck tradition and stare it down.  This was one of those times.  

Adjusting my exposure setting as low as I could to compensate for the direct lighting, I tried to capture what I was seeing there on the hillside.

Sometimes you get really lucky - this is perhaps one of my favorite shots ever:


No comments:

Post a Comment